Topic : Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests. Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
4) Do you agree that the benefits of biodiversity far exceed the costs of current levels of biodiversity protection? Explain the impacts of biodiversity on economic activities of a country.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in detail the economic costs associated with the biodiversity. It highlights the findings of the global assessment report of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) which states that human beings have so rapaciously exploited nature, and that species belonging to a quarter of all studied animal and plant groups on earth are gravely threatened.
Key demand of the question:
The question expects one to analyse the need for Biodiversity assessments that must be factored into all economic activity.
Explain – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with significance of conservation of biodiversity for sustenance of economy.
- Discussion should include the following aspects –
- Highlight the nature and scale of benefits that we, as a society,
derive from biodiversity.
- Discuss that it is important that public goods, including those supplied by nature, are reflected in decision making. It is also important to ensure that the benefits of policies which protect biodiversity are at least commensurate with the costs of such policies.
- Explain why benefits of biodiversity far exceed the costs of current levels of biodiversity protection.
- Elaborate how a high level of biodiversity also ensures that we are
- supplied with the ‘ecosystem services’ that are essential to the sustainability of our standard of living and to our survival.
- Re assert on significance of the biodiversity conservation to economic aspects.
Conclude with a way ahead.