Topic: Disaster and disaster management.
4) Discuss the importance of ‘Climate resilience’ in the eventualities of disasters. Explain how building climate-resilient structures aid to minimise long-term cost of reconstruction in the disaster hit regions.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses in detail the commendable emergency response to cyclone Fani that saved lives in Odisha, and how now the state must build climate-resilient structures to minimize long-term cost of reconstruction.
Key demand of the question:
The question expects us to elaborate on the concept of climate resilience and one must state the significance of the same in the event of the onset of Disasters like that of cyclone Fani.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with what you understand by climate resilience.
Discussion should include the following aspects –
- What do you understand by Climate resilience? -Climate resilience can be generally defined as the capacity for a socio-ecological system to:
- absorb stresses and maintain function in the face of external stresses imposed upon it by climate change and
- adapt, reorganize, and evolve into more desirable configurations that improve the sustainability of the system, leaving it better prepared for future climate change impacts.
- What is climate resilient infrastructure? -Climate Resilient Infrastructure. Infrastructure by its very nature, and often by design, is vulnerable to the impacts associated with climate change. ‘Climate resilient’ infrastructure can safeguard and strengthen developing countries’ economic growth from current and future climate impacts.
- Explain the significance of having climate resilient infrastructure.
- Discuss how it addresses vulnerability.
- Discuss the case study of cyclone Fani to justify the answer better.
Conclude with a reassertion that climatic resilience is of utmost importance.