Topic:Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
7) “India’s conservation policies and legislation in environmental domain over the years reveal a dichotomy of intent and action”. Critically analyse. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article provides for a detailed analysis India’s conservation policies and legislation in environmental domain. It highlights that India is stridently moving away from community-involved conservation models.
Key demand of the question:
One needs to analyse India’s conservation policies and legislation in environmental domain with major focus on the recent shift in its approach that has moved away from community-involved conservation models.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain the background of the question.
In brief discuss –
Discuss the recent legislations that highlights the alarming issue concerning India’s environmental policy like the eviction of more than a million forest-dwelling people from their homes.
- Discuss the policies and initiatives of the government in this direction.
- Discuss why there is Expropriation in the name of conservation?
- Explain the Indian Forest Act, Forest Rights Act; lacunae with the proposed amendments etc.
- Take cues from the article and suggest your opinion and provide for a balanced judgement.
Conclude with what needs to be done, suggest way forward.