Topic : Disaster and disaster management.
6) Underline the development perspective to disaster management with focus on disaster management in coastal regions.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is in the backdrop of recent cyclone Fani that has hit coastal regions of coastal Odisha. Thus it is important for us to evaluate the significance of Disaster management in such regions.
Key demand of the question:
The answer is intended to evaluate the development perspective of Coastal area and the planning and management of the same with a focus on disaster management and the protective role of coastal ecosystem.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines narrate the onset of cyclone Fani/ disasters that have been witnessed by coastal regions of India.
- Explain – The recovery process post such disasters in the coastal regions continue to generate awareness of the need for an integrated approach to decision-making in coastal regions that balances the need to accommodate seemingly conflicting objectives such as ecosystem management, housing and economic development.
- Discuss that analysis of communities that have experienced disasters reveal that too often in the rush to return to “normal,” rebuilding occurs in such a way as to recreate, and often increase exposure to repeat hazards, while not taking into consideration lessons learned from the event such as the protective role of forests and dense vegetation buffers. Such rapid rebuilding tends not to be based on plans developed before the event that identified safety set-back distances, creation of buffer zones and optimal land uses.
- Discuss the Regional Vulnerabilities in Indian scenario with special emphasis on coastal regions
- What are the current institutional arrangements available? What needs to be done to make them better and make them work more effectively? .
- Discuss what should be done to overcome such situations.
Conclude with need for managing Disasters with focused approach.