Topic: Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security. Linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
5) Do you agree that Asia, not West Asia is turning into a host to multiple “terrorist safe havens,” owing to the rise of mass radical movements and years of complacency on the part of policymakers. Elucidate with recent examples. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article provides for a detailed analysis of how the recent gruesome Sri Lankan bombings are a reminder that Asia—not West Asia—is the region most afflicted by terrorist violence. Home to the vast majority of the world’s Muslims, it is also host to multiple “terrorist safe havens,” owing to the rise of grassroots radical movements and years of complacency on the part of policymakers.
Key demand of the question:
Analyse in detail the causes of rise in terrorist safe havens in Asia apart from regular incidences of West Asia. One has to bring out recent examples and justify along with suggesting measures of what needs to be done.
Elucidate – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Provide for the context of recent bombings in Sri-Lanka.
Discuss the following aspects in the answer body –
- What are the causes for this shift of terrorist havens from west Asia to other parts of Asia? – rise of grassroots radical movements, lack of effective policies, failures etc.
- Quote examples – massacre by a white supremacist at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, 2008 Mumbai attacks, the recent Pulwama attack etc.
- Discuss what needs to be done to resolve the situation and bring it back in control?
- Discuss the policies and initiatives needed by the governments in this direction, need for collaborative efforts etc.
Conclude with what needs to be done, suggest way forward.