Topic: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests. Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
3) The listing of Masood Azhar as a global terrorist has opened new phase in India-China relations. Analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
The United Nations Security Council recently has designated JeM Chief, Masood Azhar as a global terrorist after China lifted its technical hold on his listing under the UNSC 1267 sanctions committee. The JeM itself was sanctioned by the 1267 Committee in 2001. The proposal to designate Azhar under the 1267 Al Qaeda Sanctions Committee of the UN Security Council was moved by France, UK and the US on February 27.
Key demand of the question:
The question expects us to analyse the implications and significance of the move upon India- China relations in coming future.
Analyze – When asked to analyse, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief on the recent happenings around declaring JeM Chief, Masood Azhar as a global terrorist.
Discussion should include the following aspects –
- Past attempts by India to designate Masood Azhar a global terrorist: India had initiated the move in UN to list him as global terrorist in 2009. However, on all occasions China, a veto-wielding permanent member of the Security Council, blocked the proposals from being adopted by the Sanctions Committee.
- Recent developments: Now, the 1267 Sanctions Committee of UN has designated Masood Azhar, as a UN proscribed terrorist. The recent proposal was the fourth attempt by India.
- Reason for china not using Veto: It appears that China has responded to the growing global concern in relation to Jihadi terror, most recently seen in Sri Lanka.
- Discuss the significance of the move to India – China relations ; take cues from the article.
- Discuss what is the way ahead for India?
Conclude with significance of such move.