Topic : Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships.
8) You are the team Manager in a project. Your subordinate Mr. A, in the team is a very hard working and a industrious individual who always completes his tasks on time. However off late, it has been brought to your notice that Mr. A has been misbehaving with Mrs. x who is a junior to him in the team. Mrs. x approaches you and apprises you of her uncomfortable situation in the team. According to her, Mr. A has been making moves towards her in the wrong way and at times has even asked her out for dinner which she objected to. Mrs. x demands immediate action against Mr. A. How will you advance and what actions will you take to resolve the crisis?(250 words)
Ethics by Lexicon
Why this question:
The question is intended to help you tackle the case study based questions in the ethics GS -IV paper.
Key demand of the question:
The question is based on alleged sexual harassment at the workplace. Thus one has to carefully evaluate the case study and conclude with a balanced solution addressing all the stakeholders involved.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines appreciate the key facts of the case , do not waste too many words here.
- Explain the situation in brief – It is situation of alleged sexual harassment at the workplace which, if proved true, will portray the company in poor light, thereby affecting its credibility and profitability in the long run. A sense of insecurity might creep in among other female employees of the companies, thus hampering the team spirit.
- Suggest how should the case be handled ? – As a project manager you must first probe into the case and gain clarity.
- Identify the stake holders – your employees, company’s credibility etc.
- An independent panel must be immediately set up having women members on its board to probe the allegations impartially. Mrs. x should be transferred from Mr. A’s team citing reasons like team restructuring.
- Discuss what should be done to avoid such situations to arise in future – value addition sessions for employees, induction programmes etc.
Conclude with opinion on the case with way forward.