Topic: Challenges to internal security through communication networks, role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber security; money-laundering and its prevention.
6) Cyber-frauds have grown in terms of sophistication and reach in the recent times with increasing influence of social media. Critically analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article brings us highlights of a report- Current State of Cybercrime – 2019″ white paper, released by RSA Security, that states cyber criminals are increasingly relying on social media platforms to sell stolen identities, credit card numbers and other ill-gotten gains. Fraud from mobile apps rose 680% between 2015 and 2018.
Key demand of the question:
Analyse in detail the issues around cyber security, the root causes of Cyber fraud and what needs to be done to handle the menace.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines discuss the highlights of the report.
- First explain what you understand by cyber frauds – cyber fraud is any crime that is committed with the use of a computer or to computer data. This can look like many things, such as: Identity theft. Stolen bank account numbers.
- Due to the incredibly rapid advances in technology and electronic communications, a steadily increasing proportion of total fraud is
being perpetrated with the use of computers, the Internet, and sophisticated software and programming techniques.
- Discuss the impact, reach and expanse – not only are individuals victimized by cyber fraud, but companies suffer from the costly effects of cyber fraud within their networks.
- Explain while some of the detection and prevention methods for managing these cyber risks will be technological, a human element in the fight against cyber fraud will always be central to the war on such crimes.
- explain with the aid of recent examples.
Conclude with what needs to be done, suggest way forward.