Topic: Important Geophysical phenomena such as cyclone.
1) Explain the factors responsible for the origin of Cyclones in Bay of Bengal region. How do they influence regional climates, fishing and navigation?(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is in the context of Cyclone Fani that is set to hit Odisha on May 3, causing extensive damage. Fani, had already intensified into an “extremely severe cyclone”.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must evaluate the factors responsible for the origin of cyclones more so specifically in the Bay of Bengal region and one has to evaluate effects of such cyclonic effect on the regional climate as well s the navigation and fishing aspects related to the coastal communities of the region.
Explain – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain the background of the question.
Discuss the following aspects in the answer:
- What are the factors responsible for a cyclonic activity?
- Why is the Bay of Bengal prone to cyclones? –
- BoB water is warmer than Arabian sea water ;landlocked- less heat circulation and less powerful winds- again lesser heat circulation
- fresh water from rivers fall into BoB, making the water as a light thin layer, more prone to evaporation
- easterly jet – causing the windfall in eastern coastal States of India. And in Arabian sea these winds will steer the windfall towards eastern Africa , not towards western coast of India .
- Discuss the influence of such weather phenomena on the regional climate.
- Explain its impact on local community, aspects of navigation, fishing etc.
- Highlight the need for managing disasters and need for readiness and preparedness.
Conclude with significance of such geographical phenomena.