Topic: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
1) The Burqa ban, is it an unreasonable limitation on religious freedom or a justifiable restriction? Critically analyse in the light of recent bans on Veils imposed by the Sri -Lankan government post Easter attacks.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is in the light of recent ban imposed by the Srilankan government on all types of veils used by women from different communities for the sake of security reasons post Easter attack.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate critically whether the ban on veil is an an irrational restraint on religious freedom or a admissible control. Provide for a fair argument suggesting pros and cons of such a decision.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduce by highlighting a brief background of the question.
- Highlight some data – on countries that have already taken steps in this direction like the recent one being France.
- Discuss why banning Burqa is a progressive step, a step towards democracy.
- Explain how burqa ban oughts’ to be a neutral provision; it should refrain from mentioning any specific religion or community, and its main concerns should be the promotion of gender equality and women’s rights, and the protection of national security. However, it is common knowledge that the ban is aimed at eliminating the burqas, niqabs, and sitars, worn almost exclusively by Muslim women- thus this is one damaging aspect that needs attention from the world across to ensure nobody’s religious sentiments are hurt, at the same time religion can not back true values of democracy.
- Justify the recent decision taken by the Srilankan government. Suggest your opinion as to what needs to be done.
Conclude with a balanced opinion and suggest measures to overcome associated concerns and how a balanced solution can be arrived at.