Topic : Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
7) Rising mob protest and violence demands effective Emotional Intelligence from civil servants on ground. Suggest measures for strengthening emotional intelligence in civil servants for their effective applications in such cases. (250 words)
Ethics by Lexicon publications.
Why this question:
The article highlights the need for emotional intelligence by the civil servants to handle crowd violence and protests made by them.
Demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate need of emotional intelligence by the civil servants on ground to understand the sentiments of the mob and the resonating reasons behind them opting to protests and violence to provide for an effective and peaceful solution to the situation.
Structure of the answer:
Start by explaining – what you understand by emotional intelligence.
- Discuss what you understand by EI – the ability to recognize your and other people’s emotions; and manage them in better manner.
- What are the benefits of EI ? – Helps you control your own negative emotions. Then you can focus more on work than on mood, your productivity/efficiency/quality of work improves. Helps you make better decisions, perform under stress and against heavy-odds, deal with uncertainty and change in personal and professional life. Otherwise “He who spends time regretting the past loses the present and risks the future.
- Discuss how can one develop EI ?
- Give examples to substantiate your answer better.
Reassert the significance of such virtues in public servants.