Topic : Appointment to various Constitutional posts, powers, functions and responsibilities of various Constitutional Bodies.
3) Explain the Powers of Union Public Service Commission with special focus on its advisory powers.(250 words)
Polity by Lakshmikanth
Why this question:
The question is straightforward and from static portions based on the theme of Union Public Service Commission.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must discuss Powers of Union Public Service Commission with special focus on its advisory powers.
Explain – Clarify the topic by giving a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce with a brief on significant role played by Union Public Service Commission.
The body of the answer should address the following dimensions:
- Discuss that UPSC is a central agency that has great responsibility for conducting examinations pertaining to Civil Services, Engineering Services, Defense Services, and Medical Services. It also conducts Economic Service, Statistical Service, and Police Forces examination.
- Explain the Constitutional Provisions.
- Discuss Functions of Union Public Service Commission.
- Explain advisory powers of the UPSC in detail – It can give advises to the President and the governors of any State of the following affairs:
- On all matters related with the appointment of the civil services of the governments.
- The evaluation of the standard and efficiencies of the candidates for appointment, promotion or transfer in all civil posts.
- On all matters regarding the discipline and punctuality of the employees of All India Services.
- Affairs associated with the demands and benefits of employees working under the All India Civil Services and injured while on duty.
- Whether the payment or expenditure for any work of an employee of All India Civil Services will be borne by the consolidated fund of India.
- Regarding discipline and promptness in government functions of paying compensation to a government employee if he suffers any problem or financial loss due to the negligence on the part of the government, matters related with the punishment measures of those employees who have violated discipline or of all matters related with the interest of the government employees working under the central government.
Conclude with significance of UPSC.