Topic: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
6) Critically analyse the impact of carbon forestry projects such as REDD+ or the Green India Mission that are based on the neo-liberal principles of privatisation commoditisation, and marketisation on the rights and livelihoods of forest-dependent communities. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article gives a detailed account of carbon forestry projects and provides for a critical analysis of the impact it has on local livelihoods of forest dependent communities.
Demand of the question:
The answer must evaluate in detail the impact of carbon forestry projects on local forest communities.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyse, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Start by explaining what you understand by carbon forestry projects.
- Discuss how Carbon forestry projects such as REDD+, A/R CDM and the Green India Mission are based on the neo-liberal principles of privatization, commoditization, and marketisation.
- Explain how these market-oriented tools abstract forests from their sociocultural and ecological contexts and reduce their value for carbon forestry.
- Analyse how such projects promote plantations of fast-growing species and undermine local knowledge and institutions.
- Take cues from the article and discuss the impact it has on forest communities.
- Conclude with what needs be done?
Highlight the Indian scenario of carbon forestry efforts and suggest solutions to the concerns posed by it.