Topic : Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
4) Trace the evolution of Aadhaar system, Has Aadhaar improved welfare delivery? Discuss the associated concerns and suggest way forward.(250 words)
why this question:
The question is about evaluating the Aadhaar concept and its evolution into the welfare system.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must discuss evolution od Aadhar system and critically provide for an analysis if Aadhaar has evolved into an invisible tool to monitor all aspects of welfare programmes or vice-a-versa.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce by explaining the concept of Aadhaar- world’s largest biometric .
The body of the answer should address the following dimensions:
- Role of Aadhaar in welfare programs – discuss the benefits and associated concerns.
- Discuss how it has evolved as a tool to plug leakages in welfare schemes.
- The controversy of choosing privacy over identity. Here students can provide for comparison of such systems in other countries.
- Discuss relevant SC judgements .
Conclude with need for a level-headed approach and ensure that ample safeguards are put in place for data protection and privacy.