Topic : Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
4) Discuss the powers and limitations of Election commission of India in conducting free and fair elections.(250 words)
Why this question:
The Election Commission (EC) has come under intense scrutiny over the last few weeks for its inability to take swift action against those violating the Model Code of Conduct (MCC). Thus the question tends to evaluate the powers and limitations of Election commission of India.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must discuss how Election commission plays a vital role in organizing elections. The most critical challenge before the Election Commission of India is to implement norms and the Model Code of Conduct to ensure free and fair elections in the country. Its existence and independence are necessitated by history, which has revealed that self-governing elections are not free from disruption.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce by highlighting the significance of ECI.
The body of the answer should address the following dimensions:
- Role of Election Commission of India.
- Key Functions and Powers.
- Independence of the Election Commission
- Electoral Reforms
- Use of Scientific and Technological Advancements.
- Discuss the recent cases where ECI went vociferously and also instances where it was rendered toothless.
Conclude with significance and way forward.