Topic : Separation of powers between various organs, dispute redressal mechanisms and institutions.
3) The Right to Information (RTI) has emerged as an effective tool for citizen’s dispute resolution. Should the ambit of RTI be expanded to politicians and Judiciary too? Give your opinion with substantial justification.(250 words)
Indian Polity by Lakshmikant, D D Basu
Why this question:
RTI is one of the landmark acts which has led to a significant boost in accountability of the govt towards the people. The question is direct from the static portions of GS paper II, it tends to evaluate the mechanism of RTI as a tool to check the politicians and Judicial system.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must discuss evolution RTI as an effective tool to address citizen’s dispute resolution. And the need for expanding it to cover politicians and the judicial system under its ambit.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce by highlighting the significance of RTI.
The body of the answer should address the following dimensions:
- Discuss the Benefits of right usage of RTI: how it helps in effective governance.
- Explain the Proposed Amendment in RTI act, 2018 – The Right to Information (Amendment) Bill empowers the Central government to decide the tenure and salary and allowances of Information Commissioners of the Central Information Commission and also of State Information Commissions through rules.
- Discuss Where RTI is applicable? And not applicable and why?
- Why should RTI in Judiciary be applicable? What are the counter arguments.
- Way forward.
Conclude that though the right to information has unfolding challenges, however in today’s age of prevalence of individual centric rights RTI has a key role to play.