Topic : Important aspects of governance, Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
5) India’s achievement rate in deporting fugitives is appallingly low. what are the problems to extradition treaties that India has with different countries? Also, give some recommendations to improve India’s extradition process.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is in the context of low rate of deporting fugitives in India, the associated problems with India’s extradition process.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must discuss the lacunae in the India’s extradition process, the low levels of achievements with respect to deporting fugitives. One should suggest what needs to be done to improve the current system of deportation.
Structure of the answer
Introduce by highlighting the alarming situation of extradition process and the lacunae involved therin.
- The answer is straight forward and must be explained with recent cases such as that of deportation and extradition process in case of Vijay Mallya, Nirav Modi etc.
- Discuss the pros and cons of extradition treaties that India has with different countries.
- What are India’s extradition laws ? – Discuss Indian Extradition Act, 1962 India.
- What are the internationally accepted extradition conditions? In what situations can the government deny extradition?
Conclude with what should India do is to sign extradition treaties with more countries. That is the best way forward.