- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Utkarsh Bangla, Sabuj Sathi bag prestigious UN awards
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Key features of the schemes and about WSIS awards.
Context: West Bengal’s Utkarsh Bangla and Sabuj Sathi schemes have won the prestigious World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) awards under the United Nations.
- Utkarsh Bangla and Sabuj Sathi were selected out of 1,062 nominations and they also topped the list in their respective categories.
- Utkarsh Bangla got the topmost award and emerged a winner in the Capacity Building category.
- Sabuj Sathi ranked in the first five as a champion project under the ICT application: E-Government category.
About Utkarsh Bangla:
Under Utkarsh Bangla, skill development training is given to youths. Several centres have been opened and youths are being given training there. The trained youths are then absorbed in different industries.
About Sabooj Sathi:
Sabooj Sathi is a scheme for distribution of bicycles to the students of class IX to XII studying in Govt. run and Govt. aided Schools and Madrashas.
World Summit on the Information Society Awards:
Aims to create an effective mechanism to evaluate and recognize individuals, governments, civil society, local, regional and international agencies, research institutions and private-sector companies for outstanding success in implementing development oriented strategies that leverage the power of ICTs as an enabler of the development.
- WSIS is, at global level, the world’s largest annual gathering of the ‘ICT for development’ community and provides an opportunity for information exchange, knowledge creation and sharing of best practices, while identifying emerging trends and fostering partnerships, taking into account the evolving Information and Knowledge Societies.
- The WSIS Forum is co-organized by The International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- In 2019, The World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) Forum will celebrate its 10th anniversary of the establishment of WSIS Forum from April 8 to 12 in Geneva at the International Telecommunication Union, under the theme “Information and Communication Technologies for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals”.
Sources: the hindu.