Topic: Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc., geographical features and their location- changes in critical geographical features (including waterbodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
2) Discuss the relative contribution of tectonic and thermal influences in the sea level rise.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is from the static portions of GS paper I and is conceptual and straightforward.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must provide for a detailed discussion on the relative contribution of tectonic and thermal influences in the sea level rise.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain the current context of sea level rise, provide for an overview.
Discuss the following aspects in the answer:
- Assert with facts that sea level is rising at an increasing rate.
- What factor currently makes the greatest contribution to sea level rise? – The two major causes of global sea level rise are thermal expansion caused by warming of the ocean (since water expands as it warms) and increased melting of land-based ice, such as glaciers and ice sheets.
- How has sea level changes due to tectonic activity? – Eustatic sea-level changes are global sea-level changes related either to changes in the volume of glacial ice on land or to changes in the shape of the sea floor caused by plate tectonic processes.
- Explain the above two points with case studies.
- Briefly discuss the effects of Sea level rise.
- What can be done?
Conclude with way forward, role of humans in causing and curing the increasing rate of sea level rise.