Topic: Issues related to health.
5) With health accessibility and affordability still remaining a crucial healthcare problem facing the 21st century, Discuss the significance of Universal Health Coverage along with concerns associated also explain what needs to be done to overcome these challenges.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article is in the backdrop of World health day that is celebrated on 7th of April every year. The theme for World Health Day 2019 is Universal Health Coverage. Thus the question is important from the point of view of GS paper III.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must cover a detailed discussion on significance of Universal Health Coverage along with concerns associated, also provide for what steps can be taken.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with April 7 is observed as World Health Day. The day is celebrated under the leadership of World Health Organization to draw people’s attention towards the importance of global health.
Discussion should have the following dimensions :
- The highlights of World Health Day 2019: Theme and Significance.
- What is Universal Health Coverage? – UHC is visualized as an ideal state of health system organisation in which all individuals and communities receive quality health services as per needs, without suffering financial hardship.
- What are the objectives of UHC?
- Discuss the indicators of UHC , its context in India.
- Issues and Challenges – large health disparity between social classes, urban and rural populations and geographical locations, Lack of actual database to provide actual financial cost of the programme. there are large variations and inequities in the supply-side readiness, in terms of availability of infrastructure, equipment, essential drugs and staffing, to deliver on the promises of UHC.
- non-affordability of healthcare services is a major problem with the vast majority of our people. The coverage is still not universal but linked to poverty. Etc.
- Discuss what needs to be done?
Conclude with way forward.