Topic: Urbanization – problems and remedies, Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation. Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
4) India needs community led Solid waste management plans to be implemented alongside maintenance of drainage and sewerage networks. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article provides for a detailed analysis of a case study of Solid waste management of the city of Vellore of Tamil Nadu.
Key demand of the question:
Analyse in detail the need for Solid waste management – In India, solid waste management needs to be planned and implemented alongside well-maintained drainage and sewerage networks and with the active participation of the communities.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain the present system and conditions of solid waste management in the cities and towns of India.
In brief discuss –
- Discuss the grave crisis of solid waste management – issues associated.
- Why we need community led efforts to tackle the problem?
- Need for sustainable solid waste management – would have provided
9.6 million tons of compost that could have resulted in a better agricultural yield, energy equivalent to 58 million barrels of oil from non-recyclable wastes, 6.7 million tons of secondary raw materials to industries in the form of recyclable materials and livelihood to the urban poor.
- Take hints from the article and present a case study on community led solid waste management efforts.
- Discuss the policies and initiatives of the government in this direction.
Conclude with what needs to be done, suggest way forward.