Topic: Salient features of world’s physical geography.
1) What do you understand by Great Pacific Garbage? Discuss its environmental impact and necessary measures to tackle the issue.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is based on the concept of Great Pacific Garbage that is alarming the world the ill effects of Plastic pollution.
Key demands of the question:
The answer must provide for a brief discussion on the concept of Great Pacific Garbage and discuss in detail the impact of such debris in oceans on the ecosystem of Earth. One must also suggest what measures should be taken to tackle the issue.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer:
In a few introductory lines explain what you understand by Great Pacific Garbage patch.
Discuss the following aspects in the answer:
- What is Great Pacific Garbage? – The Great Pacific Garbage Patch (GPGP), aka Pacific Trash Vortex, is an enormous collection of marine debris swirling in a gyre in the central North Pacific Ocean, well beyond recognized national boundaries. The patch extends over an imprecise area.
- Explain the causal factors of it – 100% human. The plastics and debris in this region (and others) are all from human use, disposal, littering, dumping, etc. primary sources are improper waste disposal, management of trash, and manufacturing products.
- Detail upon the impact of ecosystem – impact on the ocean ecosystem health and on marine animals, human health impacts, bioaccumulation etc.
- What are the challenges in resolving it? What needs to be done? – need for coordinated environmental governance, dispute resolution mechanisms, need for adequate economic instruments, and adequate provisions for liability.
Conclude with significance of controlling the spread of the patch and curbing the rising menace of plastic pollution.