Topic : Disaster and disaster management.
6) It is not only the intensity of environmental disasters that makes disasters devastating but poverty also has a huge bearing. Critically analyse.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article evaluates the tropical cyclone Idai that recently rampaged south-eastern Africa – one of the worst disasters ever to strike the southern hemisphere. It evaluates the reports from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in this context.
Key demand of the question:
One is expected to discuss the that the intensity of environmental disasters is not alone due to the natural or man made causes but also because of the alarming problem of poverty that has huge influence on its intensity.
Structure of the answer:
Brief upon the recent event of cyclone Idai, its devastating impact on the region.
Discuss the following aspects :
- Explain in short the causes and consequences of the disaster.
- Discuss that It is not only the intensity of environmental disasters that makes them devastating – poverty also has a huge bearing on how things play out. Houses in poorer areas often are less stable, storm barriers may be weaker, sanitation is often a problem, emergency services will be poorly resourced – and preventing disease outbreaks may be hindered by the poor state of public health services. The list of disadvantages goes on and on.
- You can have a case study from Indian context.
- Conclude what needs to be done and suggest way forward in terms of – policy measures, community actions etc.
Re-assert the significance of disaster management and importance of development and vis-à-vis eradication of poverty .