Topic: Conservation, environmental degradation.
7) “Carbon emissions have risen to a record high in 2018 as demand for energy has soared in countries such as the US, China and India, pointing to a seeming neglect of global warming concerns.” Comment. (250 words)
Why this question:
The article discusses the International Energy Agency report on climate change making us aware of the situation related to climate – it has established that China, India and US account for 85% of the net increase in carbon emissions. Examining the options available to us in light of the new report and brainstorming over way forward is the focus of this question.
Key demand of the question:
The question expects us to first discuss the findings of the International Energy Agency report and highlight the risk that faces it. Thereafter, we need to bring out the impact that unprecedented carbon emissions will have on weather, natural disasters etc. We need to discuss ways through which this situation can be addressed and suggest way forward.
Comment– here we have to express our knowledge and understanding of the issue and form an overall opinion thereupon.
Structure of the answer:
Begin with brief introductory lines on highlights of the findings by the International Energy Agency.
- Discuss the outline of the main findings of the report – China, India and US account for 85% of the net increase in carbon emissions.
- In India, emissions rose by 4.8%, although the nation’s per capita release remained low at 40% of the global average.
- Global carbon dioxide emissions rose 1.7% in 2018, the highest rate of growth since 2013, and 70% higher than the average increase since 2010.
- Then move on to discuss the effectiveness of the global fight against climate change amid rising energy demand in detail.
- Discuss the effect and what needs to be done to mitigate the challenge the world is facing.
Conclude with importance of immediate attention by the world community to look into the issue urgently and come up with an immediate fix to the problem.