Topic: Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and other measures.
5) Critically examine the issues involved in the functioning of Lokpal. Does it dispute with the mandate of elected representatives? Suggest methods to make Lokpal effective with least interference it in the government affairs.(250 words)
Why this question:
Retired Supreme Court judge Pinaki Chandra Ghose is likely to be appointed the country’s first Lokpal, the anti-corruption ombudsman, after a Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led selection committee decided on his name. Thus the question becomes important from the perspective of GS II paper.
Key demand of the question:
The answer must trace the issues involved in the functioning of Lokpal. Bring out in what way it disputes the functioning of the mandate of elected representatives. You must also suggest solutions to overcome such an issue pertaining to functioning of Lokpal.
Critically examine – When asked to critically examine, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, one needs to look at the good and bad of the topic and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer:
Introduce with importance of Lokpal in the Indian political system.
In brief discuss the following points :
- Importance of The Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013.
- What are the issues associated – parallel system; It can dismiss serving all India civil servants, a power only president has. It has authority over CBI officers on deputation. With no additional resources, the power to dismiss a case as frivolous or false and fine the complainant. The lokpal bill attempts to alter the balance between three branches of government attained through years. Any alteration of it could lead to accumulation of power either with one of these or with lokpal itself. The threat is further increased by the lack of accountability in presence of sweeping powers.
- Provide for a comparison with other countries.
- Now suggest what can be done to overcome the above stated challenges.
Conclude with the significance, end with optimism that though it has its own associated issues, but the merits outweigh it all.