TOPIC: Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity; Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
8) Code of conduct is a forcible, quick-fix strategy. It reduces ethics to legality by directing on both the “lowest common values” and “consequences of deviations”. Discuss.(250 words)
Why this question:
The question is about code of conduct and its method of operation.
Key demand of the question:
The answer should elaborate on the importance of code of conduct, its method of functioning and its necessity in governance.
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Briefly discuss what you understand by code of conduct.
Body of the answer should discuss:
- why code of conduct is a forced, coercive fixed strategy, and how it makes ethics more of a legality than mere morals or values.
- the lacunae related to Code of Conduct.
- One must weigh the pros and cons of having code of conduct that help and aid the governance processes.
- Provide some suggestions to improve the effectiveness of Code of Conduct.
- Substantiate your points with examples to justify better.
Conclude with how the code of conduct though comes with inherent flaws of forcibility , its significance makes it inevitable in the process of governance.