- Population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
Swachh Survekshan Awards 2019
What to study?
- For Prelims: Rankings of cities in various categories.
- For Mains: Swachh Bharat Mission- Significance, challenges and solutions.
Context: The Swachh Survekshan awards 2019 were recently conferred by President Ram Nath Kovind.
Swachh Survekshan 2019 covered all urban local bodies in the country, making it the largest such cleanliness survey in the world.
Performance of various countries:
- Indore was adjudged India’s cleanest city for the third straight year. The second and third positions in the category were grabbed by Ambikapur in Chhattisgarh and Mysuru in Karnataka.
- Bhopal is country’s Swachh capital.
- New Delhi Municipal Council area was given the ‘Cleanest Small City’ award.
- Uttarakhand’s Gauchar was adjudged the ‘Best Ganga Town’.
- The ‘Cleanest Big City’ award has been bagged by Ahmedabad, while Raipur is the ‘Fastest Moving Big City’.
- Ujjain has been the adjudged the ‘Cleanest Medium City’ and Mathura-Vrindavan bagged the tag of the ‘Fastest Moving Medium Cities’.
Cleanliness should be integral to the behaviour of every citizen to make it effective and sustainable. Many people pay attention to personal hygiene but remain apathetic to public and community cleanliness. Change in this mentality is important for achieving the goals of Swachh Bharat.
Sources: the hindu.
Mains Question: Critically analyze the role Swachh Bharat has played in making India open defecation free?