Topic– Technology missions; economics of animal-rearing. Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.
6) Discuss how the recently launched department of Fisheries in the union government will help in meeting the objectives of Blue Revolution in India? What are the challenges being faced by the sector? Suggest a way forward.(250 words)
Why this question:
The article is in the context of formation of a separate department for fisheries in the Union government. It discusses how fresh policies have given a spurt to productivity of fish farms.
Key demand of the question
The answer must address the following aspects –
- Department of Fisheries and its effect on Blue revolution.
- Challenges facing the sector
- performance of this sector in India – past to present
- what needs to be done?
Discuss – This is an all-encompassing directive – you have to debate on paper by going through the details of the issues concerned by examining each one of them. You have to give reasons for both for and against arguments.
Structure of the answer
Start with how Blue Revolution aims to recognize the potential and possibilities in the fisheries sector of the country by unlocking country’s latent potential through an integrated approach.
The body should cover – the scope and reach on creating an enabling environment for integrated and holistic development and management of fisheries for socio economic development of fishers and fish farmers. The importance of the department, it’s role, various schemes and policies of the government, what are the challenges in the sector, what needs to be done to make it a success.
- Conclude by relating it to the vision of doubling farmers’ income by 2022.