- Schemes for the vulnerable sections of the society.
- Agriculture related schemes.
PM – KISAN scheme
What to study?
- For Prelims: Key Features of the scheme.
- For Mains: Significance, relevance and need for the scheme, concerns and challenges over its implementation, is it sufficient?
Context: Seeding of Aadhaar with bank accounts will not be compulsory for small and marginal farmers to avail the second instalment of Rs 2,000 due on April 1 under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KiSAN) scheme. However, Aadhaar number would be required for release of second instalment.
About Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi:
- Under this programme, vulnerable landholding farmer families, having cultivable land upto 2 hectares, will be provided direct income support at the rate of Rs. 6,000 per year.
- This income support will be transferred directly into the bank accounts of beneficiary farmers, in three equal installments of Rs. 2,000 each.
- The complete expenditure of Rs 75000 crore for the scheme will borne by the Union Government in 2019-20.
For the purpose of the calculation of the benefit, the Centre has defined a small and marginal landholder family as the one comprising of husband, wife and minor children up to 18 years of age, who collectively own cultivable land up to two hectare as per the land records of the concerned states.
Around 12 crore small and marginal farmer families are expected to benefit from this. It would not only provide assured supplemental income to the most vulnerable farmer families, but would also meet their emergent needs especially before the harvest season. It would pave the way for the farmers to earn and live a respectable living.
Mains Question: Reducing farmer’s vulnerability to negative shocks through focussed financial help is more critical than unconditional loan waivers scheme. Critically analyze.