Topic-Indian Freedom Struggle- Phases
2) The development of the Moderate thought was the culmination of a tradition which can be traced back to Raja Rammohan Roy. Examine. (250 words)
Examine- here we have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to development and rise of the nationalist moderate thought and discuss at length as to how it can be traced back to Raja Rammohan Roy.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the development of moderate thought in India. E.g he Moderates had played an important role at a critical period in the history of Indian nationalism.
Discuss how development of modern thought can be traced back to the Raja Rammohan Roy. E.g
- The flowering of the Moderate thought was the culmination of a tradition which can be traced back to Raja Rammohun Roy, who stood for the rational, liberal tradition of contemporary Europe.
- His ideas of reforms ultimately provided the basis for the demands put forward by the early Congress.
- As with Rammohun, so with the early Congress leaders, the presence of the British administration was important for continued political progress.
- Quite understandably, their language was cautious and their expectation moderate.
- But with changing times, the Moderates also began to alter their position.
- By 1905 Gokhale had started speaking of self-rule as the goal and in 1906 it was Dadabhai Naoroji who mentioned the word Swaraj as the goal of the Congress etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.