- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Permanent Residence Certificate
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: PRC- meaning, why is it issued, concerns associated.
Context: Violence erupted in Arunachal Pradesh over the issue of Permanent Residence Certificate to six non-Arunachal Pradesh Scheduled Tribes (APSTs) living in the Namsai and Changlang districts and to the Gorkhas living in Vijaynagar.
- The protests spread despite a state government assurance that they had deferred the plan to give them PRC.
Deoris, Sonowal Kacharis, Morans, Adivasis and Mishings were demanding Permanent Residence Certificate. Most of these communities are recognised as Scheduled Tribes in neighbouring Assam. According to reports, the demand by these communities for PRC, recognising them as residents of the state, is long-standing, but is opposed by powerful groups.
What is Permanent Residence Certificate?
The State Government of Arunachal Pradesh issues the domicile certificate otherwise called as Permanent Residence Certificate (PRC) to the residents of the state who stayed therein over a period. Those citizens who are not currently residing in the state but are sure of permanently staying therein can also apply for it.
Besides the permanent residence certificate, the State also offers Temporary Residence Certificate (TRC) for those who reside in the State on a temporary basis.
Purpose of the Certificate:
- Permanent Residence Certificate is a legal document that serves as an evidence of residence and thus must be submitted wherever a residence proof is required.
- Permanent Residence Certificate should be produced in many situations such as admission in educational organisations, job reservation under specific quotas especially for government jobs, etc. to get local preferences.
- To apply for ration card permanent residence certificate is a vital and mandate document.
- To avail the provisions of various schemes of the state or to claim scholarships of the State, permanent residence certificate is essential.
Sources: Indian express.