- Development of new technology and their significance.
Super-Efficient Air Conditioning programme
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: Super-Efficient Air Conditioning Programme- key facts, about EESL, significance of the programme.
Context: Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) has launched its Super-Efficient Air Conditioning Programme for residential and institutional consumers in the BSES area.
Super-Efficient Air Conditioning Programme- key facts:
- Under the programme, Super-Efficient Air Conditioners are distributed. They are 40% more efficient than, but priced comparably with, the 3-star ACs currently available in the market (ISEER 3.8).
- EESL is working towards making this programme and its benefits available to all consumers across the nation with the other DISCOMs likely to partner with EESL in future.
Significance and benefits of the programme:
- Besides promoting energy efficiency, the Super-Efficient AC programme will also help to reduce the peak power demand in South and West Delhi by 22MW, enabling the two organisations to harness synergies to promote energy security and sustainability.
- The programme directly addresses the prospect of the nearly four-fold increase in energy consumption from buildings and cooling appliances in India by 2032, while also addressing goals of India’s Cooling Action Plan and Hydrochlorofluorocarbon Phase Out Management Plan, enabling achievement of India’s targets under the Kigali and Paris Agreements.
- EESL’s investment in the programme is partially supported by a grant from the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
- Further, Asian Development Bank (ADB) is providing necessary grant support and loan while United Nations Environment (UNEP) is providing technical assistance support to the Super-Efficient AC programme.
- GEF is an independent financing mechanism that was established on the eve of the 1992 Rio Earth Summit to address global environmental issues. The GEF is an international partnership of 183 countries, international institutions, civil society organizations and the private sector.
- The World Bank serves as the GEF Trustee, administering the GEF Trust Fund.
It is a FINANCIAL MECHANISM for five major international environmental conventions: the Minamata Convention on Mercury, the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs), the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (UNCBD), the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).