Topic– Indian Art and culture
1) Explain the different aspects of India’s traditional dance system? (250 words)
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to highlight the various facets of dance in India both classical dances as well as folk dances.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain that dance has always been considered ad a complete art and has had close association with god and worship. The earliest examples of dance in India can be traced back to the dancing pictures in Bhimbetka caves and bronze statue of a dancing girl in Mohenjodaro.
- Discuss the various texts on dance in India such as Bharatmuni’s Natyashashtra is a famous treatise on Natya which includes dance as well. Other works are like Nandikeshwar’s AbhinayaDarpan.
- Highlight that . Sangeet Natak Academy confers “classical” status on 8 dances. Highlight that Dance forms in India were kept alive by devadasis amd later revived by various artists.
- Explain that Dance has two aspects: Tandava and Lasya. Tandava emphasizes on body movements and masculinity while Lasya focusses on grace and abhinaya, so more feminine. Dances were scripted around 9 rasas or emotions like heroism, love, anger, etc. Themes were derived from mythology like Radha-Krishna, Shiva-Parvati, etc. Many Muslim kings also added their elements and learnt traditional dance like Nawab Wajid Ali of Oudh.
- Explain about the other facets of dance forms in India and the folk dance of India – many folk dances are also prevalent amongst tribes. Kalbelia of Rajasthan and Chhau of Bihar, Bengal are on the UNESCO list of Intangible Cultural Hertitage.
Conclusion – Emphasize on India’s rich history of dance.