Topic– Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
7) Critically analyze the state of unemployment and the political discourse around it in India.(250 words)
Why this question
Unemployment has become a chronic problem of India and in the recent years the situation has only worsened. In this context it is important to analyze the scenario today in order to get a better understanding of the issue
Critically analyze- here we have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts, and present them as a whole in a summary. based on our discussion we have to form a concluding opinion on the issue.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to dig deep into the issue of unemployment in contemporary India and bring out its salient aspects as well as how public discourse is shaped around it.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the status of unemployment in India. E.g present some statistics from the Labour reports or any other authentic report like the CMIE report.
- Discuss about the issue of unemployment in contemporary India. E.g
- mention the unemployment rates in India in recent years- how they have changed but little.
- Mention that the labour force which is the sum of the employed and those unemployed who are seeking employment, has been decreasing in India.
- A shrinking of the labour force is most unusual in an economy with a growing population, and thus a growing working age cohort.
- Mention demonetization and discouraged-worker effect etc
- Discuss the form of public discourse around the issue. E.g
- Employment does not usually figure in the public discourse orchestrated by political parties, either at the Centre or in the States.
- Political parties and politicians have failed in creating gainful employment.
- Discuss the role played by media etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.