Topic: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health
4) Substance abuse is a problem that merits serious consideration in India. Examine. (250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the high instance of alcohol and drug abuse among Indians which is often ignored. The article highlights the lacunae in our policy and healthcare system which fails to take care of such an issue.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain the problem of substance abuse in the country, highlight why it should be focussed upon, discuss the lacunae in the current system and highlight the way forward.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight the problem of drug abuse in the country and the growing instance of mental health issues that India faces.
- Discuss the issue in detail – government-commissioned survey of substance abuse in the country shows worrying levels of addiction. Highlight the problem of drug and alcohol abuse in the country and the growing instance of it.
- Discuss why this issue merits serious consideration
- huge gap between those who need medical treatment and its availability. Indians tend to look upon alcohol and drug addiction as moral issues. Consequently, addicts are unwilling to seek treatment.
- Social stigma attached to women doing such things makes them even less likely to seek treatment
- The existing centres hardly provide proper treatment etc
- Discuss the steps needed to address this issue
Conclusion – Explain the significance of the problem and why it needs urgent redressal and the way forward.