Topic– Indian Art and culture
1) Literary account of foreigners proved extremely useful in writing the history of Ancient India. Discuss.(250 words)
Key demand of the question
Literary account of foreigners have played a useful role in writing the history of ancient India. The question expects us to discuss the account of such travellers and how they enabled us to write the history of ancient India.
Discuss – Here your discussion needs to focus on highlighting the account of foreigners and how they enabled us to understand in detail the society, polity, economy etc of Indian society.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that Foreign travelers in the past played a more profound role than tourists of the present day. They were agents of civilizational contact and exchange, bringing with them new ideas, skills and technologies and returning with new knowledge.
Body – discuss how Greek and Roman literary account has proven useful by discussion some works and highlighting it’s significance in writing the history of ancient Indian.
- Hsuan-Tsang – Account during Harshavardhan’s era.
- Al Beruni (AD 973 – 1048) – Mahmud of Ghazni. Culture of Indians especially the hindus.
- Abdur Razzaq – Vijaynagar Empire
- Fa-Hien – Account of the Gupta Period. An extensive account of society. first to talk about the caste system and shudras. Shudras were kept outside the town and entered the town by making a noise with a stick. Fahien had also mentioned about Shaiv and Vaishnav religion.
Conclusion – Highlight the impact and importance of such accounts.