Topic – challenges to internal security
6) India urgently needs a national security doctrine and another knee jerk reaction will not suffice. Critically comment. (250 words)
Why this question
The Pulwama strike has raised several questions over the internal security situation in the country particularly with respect to Kashmir. The issue highlights the need for a national security doctrine as discussed in the article.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the recent incident which has brought intense focus on the Kashmir issue. Here based on reasoned arguments and from different perspectives we need to discuss what should be our next step, with a special emphasis on whether and what revisions does India require in its doctrine. We need to conclude with our own take on the issue and justify our stand.
Critically comment – When you are asked to comment, you have to pick main points and give your ‘opinion’ on them based on evidences or arguments stemming from your wide reading. Your opinion may be for or against, but you must back your argument with evidences. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Discuss why this issue is in news and set the foundation for the discussion that follows.
- Highlight why this attack has shaken the nation and posed new challenges for national security
- deadliest ever terror strike against security forces in three decades of militancy in Kashmir.
- Jaish has carried out other attacks in Kashmir in recent years, including the one at Uri and at Pathankot, highlights terrorism emanating from Pakistan
- Issues of strategic significance such as relationship with China, developments in Afghanistan
- One of the first instances of a vehicle-borne IED being used in J&K, the success of this tactic could mark a new phase in the ongoing counter-insurgency operations.
- Comment on how should India react. Highlight the pros and cons of your suggestion. Also discuss what is India’s national security doctrine and what inclusions /exclusions should be made in that.
Conclusion – Give your view and justify it on the basis of the arguments made above.