Topic– India and its bilateral relations
5) India has a lot to gain from supporting the reform agenda of Mohammed Bin Salman. Critically analyze. (250 words)
Why this question
This article delves deep into the background of India’s relationship with Saudi Arabia and the issues and enablers of the relationship. The article makes a case in factor of supporting MBS’s reform agenda as he speaks about overturning the policies pursued since 1979. This question is important because of the importance of bilateral relationship, impending visit of MBS and the situation in Kashmir.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to explain about the reform agenda of Mohammed Bin Salman, discuss the historical perspective and other issues and possibilities of the relationship and give our view on what would be a good strategy for India going forward.
Critically analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary. When ‘critically’ is suffixed or prefixed to a directive, all you need to do is look at the good and bad of something and give a fair judgement.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain why the issue is in news – importance of bilateral relationship, impending visit of MBS and the situation in Kashmir.
- Explain about the reform agenda of MBS –
- According to him policies that Saudi arabia pursued after 1979 are now a drag on a productive Saudi future. Prince Salman vowed to overcome the deviations of 1979 and return Saudi Arabia to “moderate Islam”.
- House of Saud began to promote a more conservative Islam at home and support Sunni extremism abroad. This included support to the jihad in Afghanistan and the American and Pakistani war against the Soviet-backed regime in Kabul. Gen Zia-ul- Haq took advantage of the new regional dynamic push Pakistan towards Islamic conservatism.
- Highlight the other items of the agenda in brief such as ending corruption and the way in which the agenda is being put in place by MBS including the Khashoggi incident
- Discuss the historical perspective of India Saudi relationship, the issues involved such as
- Stand of Saudi Arabia on Kashmir issue
- Oil diplomacy
- India as an attractive investment decision for Saudi Arabia
- The religion issue and the Pakistan Ange etc
- The agreements in pipeline
- Human rights issues
Conclusion – Based on your arguments made above, give a fair and balanced opinion and way ahead for India.