- Indigenization of technology.
Vande Bharat Express
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: About the train, key facts related and significance of this development.
Context: Vande Bharat Express was recently flagged off by PM.
Vande Bharat Express:
- It is India’s first indigenously built engineless semi-high speed train. Earlier, it was known by the name Train 18.
- It runs between Delhi and Varanasi at a maximum speed of 160 kmph.
- It has been built by the Integral Coach Factory, Chennai, in a record time of 20 months.
- The train is a 100% ‘Make in India’ project and is claimed to be built at half the cost of a similar train set that is imported.
- It is energy-efficient as its coaches will be fitted with LED lights. Coaches will have automatic doors and retractable footsteps.
- It will be inter-connected with fully sealed gangways along with a GPS-based Passenger Information System. It is provided with Bio toilets.
Mains Question: “The Future of Rail Opportunities for energy” report, released by the International Energy Agency, has painted a bright future for Indian railways. Discuss the report and the efforts made by the government in recent years to modernize Indian railways.