- Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
World Sustainable Development Summit
What to study?
For Prelims and Mains: WSDS- key facts and significance of the summit, about TERI.
Context: The World Sustainable Development Summit 2019 is being held in New Delhi. It is organized by The Energy and Resources Institute – TERI.
World Sustainable Development Summit:
- The World Sustainable Development Summit is the annual flagship event of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
- World Sustainable Development Summit is the sole Summit on global issues taking place in the developing world.
- It provides a platform for global leaders and practitioners to discuss and deliberate over climatic issues of universal importance.
- It strives to provide long-term solutions for the benefit of the global community by assembling the world’s most enlightened leaders and thinkers on a single platform.
- It is continuing the legacy of Delhi Sustainable Development Summit (DSDS) which was initiated in 2001 with the aim of making ‘sustainable development’ a globally shared goal.
The Energy and Resources Institute – TERI:
The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) is a leading think tank dedicated to conducting research for sustainable development of India and the Global South. TERI was established in 1974 as an information centre on energy issues. However, over the following decades, it made a mark as a research institute, whose policy and technology solutions transformed people’s lives and the environment.
Sources: the hindu.