Topic– Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information,
7) Discuss the role played by key stakeholders under the Right to Information Act of India.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the key stakeholders in implementation of the RTI Act and define in detail the role played by them.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the RTI Act. e.g mention the huge role played by the RTI Act in giving the citizens of the country access to public information and empowering them.
DIscuss the role played by the key stakeholders. E.g
- Civil Society Organizations.
- enhancing the reach and awareness of RTI among the masses. I
- it is mostly with the support of the social activists and Civil Society Organizations that a person in a village is able to use the RTI Act for ensuring his basic rights.
- However given the geographical size & population, the reach of Civil Society Organizations and social activists is limited.
- contribution towards training of PIOs and AAs and made them aware of their roles and responsibilities under the RTI Act. Media
- It has played an important role in generating awareness at a mass scale.
- While there has been no major media campaign for promoting the usage of RTI Act, nonetheless the awareness on the Act has been generated through news articles based on RTI investigation.
- Journalists at times have played a dual role – as the users of RTI Act and as watchdogs, monitoring and scrutinizing the implementation of the Act.
- Central Government
- Basic institutional structure/processes has been set up as per the RTI act requirement
- Department of Personnel & Training has been made the Nodal Department for the RTI implementation at the Central level.
- State governments.
- Various State Governments had already enacted laws for access to information in some form or the other,
- some State Governments have taken innovative initiatives in line with the spirit of the Act. The key initiatives are: – Jankari Call Centre, Government of Bihar etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.