Topic– Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information,
4) Sharing of personal information should be governed by certain rules. What do you think should be those principles. Discuss.(250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the principles which should govern information sharing i.e how governments should regulate information sharing of citizens, customers in the increasingly digital world.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the increasing importance and generation, use of personal information in today’s world and mention the nature of entities holding and sharing such information.
Discuss in points about the principles which should govern information sharing. E.g
- Such rules should provide a framework to ensure that personal information about living individuals is shared appropriately.
- Be open and honest with the individual (and/or their family where appropriate) from the outset about why, what, how and with whom information will, or could be shared, and seek their agreement, unless it is unsafe or inappropriate to do so.
- Seek advice, if you are in any doubt about sharing the information concerned, without disclosing the identity of the individual where possible.
- Where possible, share information with consent, and where possible, respect the wishes of those who do not consent to having their information shared.
- Consider safety and well-being etc.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.