Topic– Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the
performance of these schemes.
2) Explain the factors that contribute to the success of Ujjwala scheme and also highlight the lessons that should be drawn from its implementation so far?(250 words)
Why this question
The article highlights the success of Ujjwala scheme in terms of the number of beneficiaries it has managed to cover, the efficiency of the public and private sector in implementing the scheme. The article also throws light on the learnings that can be drawn from the scheme and the way forward.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the impact of the scheme, highlight the reasons that have caused the scheme to be successful, the learnings that can be drawn from the scheme and discuss way forward.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about the Ujjwala scheme.
- Highlight the successes of the scheme
- The scheme took the household coverage from about 56% to about 81% in just three years.
- Despite being a social scheme, the delivery was cost-effective with numbers indicating about ₹1,600 spend per beneficiary.
- Ujjwala has empowered women and protected them and their families through the use of clean burning fuel. It is helping prevent a significant number of acute respiratory illnesses caused by indoor air pollution.
- Discuss the factors which helped in successful implementation
- Ujjwala scheme was possible only because of the robust foundation created by the subsidy payment scheme, direct benefits transfer (DBT), which was another significant achievement of the government.
- The coordination showed between private and public sector also helped in efficiency delivery
- Discuss the lessons that can be learnt from the implementation of the scheme
- Aggregation of demand from low-demand areas using technology, servicing them by vehicles that also carry other goods, and using private sector services may be a solution.
- Tech-enabled, Aadhaar-based micro-financing may help bridge the finance gap for refill purchase.
- The possibility of avoiding full payment, as subsidy follows immediately, can be explored in case of digital payments as the payer’s credentials are established while paying.
- Refill bookings need to become easy and quicker by making the interface simpler, including possibly by voice
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss way forward.