Topic– Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
6) For Jiddu Krishnamurti, education is educating the ” whole person, as a whole, within the whole”. Elaborate.(250 words)
Elaborate- It demands us to add more information to or explain something that has been said.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the philosophy and thoughts of Krishnamurti on education- what it means, how it should be imparted etc.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– Write a few introductory lines about Jiddu Krishnamurti. E.g At the age of 15, Krishnamurti accompanied Miss Annie Besant to England in 1911. Like his father he also became a member of the Theosophical Society. In 1912, he wrote a book entitled ‘Education as Service’ in which he described the life of an ideal school.
Discuss about his philosophy on education in detail. E.g
- For Krishnamurti education is:
(i) Educating the whole person.
(ii) Educating the person as a whole (not as an assemblage of parts).
(iii) Educating the person within a whole. (As part of society, humanity, nature, etc.).
- For him education is about preparation for the whole life and not preparation for part of life (like work).
- Jiddu Krishnamurthy, like Rabindranath Tagore, Mahatma Gandhi, Swami Vivekanand and others founded his own educational institutions to put into practice what he preached.
- Education should awaken the capacity to be self aware and not merely, indulge in gratifying self expression.
- The right kind of education is not concerned with any ideology, however much it offers to future Utopia. It is not based on any system, however carefully thought out, nor is it a means of conditioning the individual in some special manner.
- Education in the true sense is of helping the individual to be mature and free, to flower greatly in love and goodness. T
- For Jiddu Krishnamurti, the intentions of education must be the inner transformation and liberation of the human being and, from that, society would be transformed etc.
Conclusion- based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.