Topic – Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
3) Examine whether the Wahhabi Salafi influence on the practice of Islam in India merits concern from an internal security standpoint?(250 words)
Why this question
The article discusses the distinct nature of Indian Islam and how the radical Wahhabi – Salafi ideology is bearing influence on the practice of Islam in India, accelerated by recent events and pose a threat to national security.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to discuss the distinct nature of Indian Islam and how it has so far been at odds with the more radical version practiced in West Asia particularly Saudi Arabia. Discuss the reasons why such influences are stronger on the practice of Islam in India and discuss its impact on national security. Finally we need to provide a fair and balanced view and discuss way forward.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Highlight that through the rise of ISIS etc, security analysts in India were secure in the knowledge that moderate nature of Indian Islam immunes us from the threat of religion based extremism emanating from inside the country.
- Explain about the Wahhabi – Salafi ideology and how it is more radical
- Discuss about the distinct nature of Islam practiced in the country moderated by influences of Sufism and the reasons why it is coming under the influence of radical ideology – migration, perceived underdevelopment, religious tensions etc
- Discuss about the impact which such a situation might have on the internal security of the country
- Highlight what must be done to nip the problem in its bud
Conclusion – Discuss the importance of taking early measures and discuss the way forward.