Topic– changes in critical geographical features (including water bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
1) Examine the impact of rapidly declining insect population?(250 words)
Why this question
The world’s insects are hurtling down the path to extinction, threatening a “catastrophic collapse of nature’s ecosystems”, according to the first global scientific review. The articles talks about this alarming possibility and its impact.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the causes behind the rapidly declining population and discuss the widespread ramifications of such a scenario on the ecosystem. Thereafter, it expects us to throw in a word of caution and discuss the way forward.
Examine – When you are asked to examine, you have to probe deeper into the topic, get into details, and find out the causes or implications if any .
Structure of the answer
Introduction – highlight that The world’s insects are hurtling down the path to extinction, threatening a “catastrophic collapse of nature’s ecosystems”, according to the first global scientific review.
- Highlight the magnitude of the problem – More than 40% of insect species are declining and a third are endangered, the analysis found. The rate of extinction is eight times faster than that of mammals, birds and reptiles. The total mass of insects is falling by a precipitous 2.5% a year, according to the best data available, suggesting they could vanish within a century.
- Discuss the causes
- The way we produce our food
- Heavy use of insecticides and pesticides
- Discuss the impact on ecosystem
- Affects the food chain
- Pollination in plants etc
Conclusion – highlight the graveness of the situation and discuss way forward.