- Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
What to study?
- For Prelims: Geographical location of Sela tunnel and overview of its neighbourhood.
- For Mains: Significance and the need for tunnel.
Context: Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently laid the foundation stone for the strategically important Sela Tunnel Project in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The project, costing Rs 687 crore, is being constructed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) and would be completed in the next three years.
Significance of the project:
- Once the 12.04-km tunnel is complete it will give a fillip to the overall development of the area as it will provide all-weather connectivity to Tawang and other areas.
- It will also reduce the travelling time from Tezpur to Tawang by more than an hour and boost tourism and related economic activities in the region.
- Need: Till now, the entry to the area was only through the 13,700-feet Sela Pass, which is covered in snow in the winters making the movement of vehicles difficult.
The development is a part of the Union Government’s effort to develop connectivity infrastructure in border areas to secure India’s defence. The proposal to build the Sela Pass comes amid concerns in the defence establishment over China’s growing assertiveness along the nearly 4,000 km-long Sino-India border.