- e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential.
- Infrastructure- waterways.
River Information System
What to study?
- For Prelims: About IWAI, RIS.
- For Mains: Significance, objectives and the need for RIS.
Context: To boost cargo movement on Ganga, the second phase of river information system (RIS) was recently inaugurated between Farakka and Patna.
What is it? It is a combination of modern tracking equipment related hardware and software designed to optimize traffic and transport processes in inland navigation.
RIS is being implemented under the overall responsibility of Inland Waterway Authority of India, a statutory body administered by the Ministry of Shipping.
The system enhances swift electronic data transfer between mobile vessels and shore (Base stations) through advance and real-time exchange of information. This would facilitate:
- Enhancement of inland navigation safety in ports and rivers.
- Better use of the inland waterways.
- Environmental protection.
RIS enables achievement of safe and efficient inland water transport by avoiding the following risks:
- Ship- to – Ship collisions.
- Ship – Bridge collisions.