Topic -Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate
7) Discuss the wartime and peacetime role of Border Security Forces of India. (250 words)
Discuss- this is an all-encompassing directive which mandates us to write in detail about the key demand of the question. we also have to discuss about the related and important aspects of the question in order to bring out a complete picture of the issue in hand.
Key demand of the question.
The question wants us to write in detail about the role of BAF in protecting India’s sovereignty and integrity in terms of its role during wartime and peacetime.
Structure of the answer
Introduction– write a few introductory lines about the BSF. E.g Till 1965 India’s borders with Pakistan were manned by the State Armed Police Battalion. A series of attacks from Pakistan exposed the inadequacy of the State Armed Police to cope with armed aggression. As a result of the recommendations of the Committee of Secretaries, the Border Security Force came into existence on 01 Dec 1965.
- Discuss the wartime roles of the BSF. E.g
- Holding ground in less threatened sectors so long as the main attack does not develop in a particular sector and it is felt that the local situation is within the capability of BSF to deal with.
- Protection of vital installations particular air-fields against enemy commandos/para troopers or raids.
- Providing extension to the flanks of main defence line by the holding of strong points in conjunction with other units.
- Limited Aggressive action against para military or irregular forces of the enemy within the overall plan of the Armed Forces .
- Performing special tasks connected with intelligence including raids.
- Guarding of prisoners of war cages
- Assistance in control of refugees etc.
- Discuss the peacetime role of the BSF. E.g
- Promote a sense of security among the people living in the border areas.
- Prevent trans border crimes, unauthorized entry into or exit from the territory of India.
- Prevent smuggling and any other illegal activity.
Conclusion– based on your discussion, form a fair and a balanced conclusion on the given issue.