Topic-India and its neighborhood relations
3) India needs to reassess it’s policy choices in Afghanistan. Analyze. (250 words)
Why this question
The decision of United States to withdraw from Afghanistan and change the terms of negotiations, and India’s absence from the high table of nations who are involved in discussions over the future of peace process in Afghanistan has huge strategic ramifications for India and the article looks at these points in detail.
Key demand of the question
The question expects us to bring out the status quo with respect to the developments in Afghanistan, examine impact of USA’s withdrawal from Afghanistan , discuss India’s strategy for Afghanistan and give a way forward.
Analyze – When asked to analyze, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer
Introduction – Explain about the recent US announcement to withdraw troops from Afghanistan and regarding negotiations with Taliban.
- Explain what the issue is about
- Discuss the ramification of withdrawing from Afghanistan and negotiations with Taliban.
- Examine the impact on India – developments in Afghanistan closely related to strategic security of India, India has had a stake in the peace process of Afghanistan etc
- Highlight that the fact that India’s presence on the negotiation table with Afghanistan is feeble has issues for India
- Examine what should India’s strategy be
Conclusion – Give your view and discuss way forward.